Moving can be an exciting time for families. However, it can also be a daunting task due to all the work involved. Bargain Movers will surely make the move seamless for you. However, on your part, you can have a relocation checklist to ensure that you have everything covered within a reasonable timeline. Due to our vast experience in the moving business, we have prepared a comprehensive checklist of residential moving for you. We aim to make moving a stress-free experience. With proper planning and organization, moving shouldn’t be the daunting task many people imagine it to be. While we have made every attempt to make the checklist all encompassing, every home is different and every move will be different from the other. However, the checklist will serve to point you in the desired direction and for planning purposes. We provide timelines that are useful in getting everything organized.
Eight weeks to the move
Most people will have made the decision to move by this time. This is a good place to start your preparations
- Start reviewing the different moving companies available within your region. The mover you choose should be registered and licensed. You can ask for recommendations from friends or visit your local BBB. If within Maryland, Bargain Movers will be your best option. You can pay us a visit and check out our location and equipment. You can also request a free estimate from us.
- If you have school age kids, contact their current schools and let them know of your intentions. Arrange for their records to be transferred to the new school district.
- Start sorting your belongings to determine what you will be bringing with you. If you haven’t used something for a long time, you probably won’t need it in your new home either. Keep anything you don’t plan on moving in your garage for a garage sale or donate them to a local charity.
Six Weeks to the move
- Determine if any of your belongings need special packing or extra insurance. Very expensive items like antiques and art might require some extra attention. Talk to your chosen moving company about the options available to you. We at Bargain Movers have necessary equipment and personnel to handle specialized equipment
- Purchase packing boxes and other moving supplies
- Get your important documents in one file. These include home titles, certificates, and legal documents. These should not be packed.
- Make sure your pet is up to date on all vaccinations
Four weeks to the move
- Pack items you don’t need on a day to day basis. Please label all your boxes appropriately. If possible use different colored boxes for different rooms. Essentials you’ll need right away should be packed in a box of their own. Avoid packing valuables at this stage.
- Remember about the items you have decided are no longer needed; you can organize a garage sale at this point or donate them to a charity.
- Change your address and notify all who need to know. Some might be banks, insurance companies, magazines, utility companies, family and friends etc.
- At this stage, you can finalize all paper work with your mover and get a binding quote.
- Contact your doctor and other professional service providers and ask for recommendations in your new location.
Two weeks to the move
- Dispose of flammable items. Note it is illegal to pack flammable items together with other belongings. In case of any accident, insurance might not pay.
- Clear your refrigerator and have food that is easy to prepare. Defrost it as it should be clean and dry on the day of the move.
One week to the move
- Disconnect your utilities and have them connected in the new home.
- Close your local bank accounts.
- Have a survival closet containing vital items such as medicines and snacks for the moving and arrival day at your new location.
- Clean your new home in preparation for moving.
- Have somebody take care of your kids and/or pets.
- Carry with you valuable lightweight items. Jewelry, cash and certificates come to mind.
- Take a walk through the home once all belongings have been loaded to make sure you haven’t left anything.
- Have your essentials ready as you might take several days to settle. Food, medicines, a couple day’s worth of clothes should be easily accessible
After the move
- Check all items for damage, if any, fill out a claim form and request compensation.
- Check inventory to make sure everything was delivered.
Moving is often stressful, but a professional moving company such as Bargain Movers assists you to make the process smooth. We provide local moving services in Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C. Contact us today for a free quote – 301-685-6789 or www.bargainmoversinc.com